ISCA Medical Practice

Complaints policy

Please address any complaints in writing to Louise Ford.

We are always interested in your views on the service that we provide. All feedback both positive and negative is welcomed and we actively encourage you to let us know what your views on our service are.

While we always endeavour to provide a service that you can be happy with there will inevitably be times when things do not come up to your expectations.

What are my rights?

If you are not happy with the care or treatment you have received you have the right to complain, have your complaint investigated, and be given a full and prompt reply.

Any complaint correspondence is held separately from your medical records and you will not be discriminated against in any way for complaining about your care.

When should I complain?

We hope that most problems can be sorted out easily and quickly at the time they arise and directly with the person concerned.  If your problem cannot be sorted out in this way and you wish to make a complaint, we would like you to let us know as soon as possible – ideally within a matter of days or at most a few weeks, because this will enable us to establish what happened more easily.  A complaint must be made within twelve months of the event or the date the matter came to the complainant’s attention. This should normally be within 12 months of the date of the event that you are complaining about, or as soon as the matter first came to your attention.

The time limit can sometimes be extended (so long as it is still possible to investigate the complaint). An extension might be possible, such as in situations where it would have been difficult for you to complain earlier.

Who should I complain to?

In the first instance we would prefer you to complain to us directly; This should be done in writing to Louise Ford

We will acknowledge your complaint within three working days (either written or verbally) and agree a timescale for response with you.  We shall then investigate your complaint to offer you an explanation or, if necessary, a meeting with the people involved.  When we look into your complaint we shall aim to:

  • Find out what happened and what went wrong
  • Make it possible for you to discuss the problem with those concerned.
  • Ensure that you receive an apology where this is appropriate
  • Identify what we can do to make sure the problem does not arise again

If a complaint requires more detailed investigation this will take a little longer, but we will keep you informed in the meantime.  If a meeting is arranged, you may bring a friend or relative with you. If you would prefer to raise your concerns with NHS Devon in the first instance, you should contact the complaints department:

New Devon CCG

County Hall
Topsham Road

01392 674806

Complaining on behalf of someone else

Please note that we keep strictly to the rules of medical confidentiality.  If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we have to know that you have his or her permission to do so.  A note signed by the person concerned will be needed, unless they are incapable (because of illness) of providing this.

The Next Step

If possible, we will try to resolve your concerns within the practice.  However, if you are still dissatisfied once you have received our response, you may approach the Ombudsman and ask for your complaint to be reviewed.  They will mediate on your behalf to try and resolve the problem.

Who can help?

Making a complaint can be daunting, but there is help available from the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS).

PALS provide:

  • Confidential advice and support to patients, families and their carers
  • Information on the NHS and health related matters
  • Confidential assistance in resolving problems and concerns quickly
  • Explanations of NHS complaints procedures and how to get in touch with someone that can help

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) contact details:

Phone: 01392 402093


Or you could also visit your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB); contact details:

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)
Wat Tyler House, King William Street, Exeter EX4 6PD
Advice and enquiries: 0844 4994101, Fax: 01392 201203

Devon NHS Complaints Advocacy

Is a free confidential advocacy service that advises and supports people complaining about NHS services in the Devon County Council area. Contact details are:

s Tel – 0845 231 1900 s Email – [email protected]


Date published: 10th October, 2014
Date last updated: 4th May, 2022