The Depression and Anxiety Service is known as TalkWorks, a psychological therapy service and is for people who are 18 years and over who are feeling stressed, anxious, low in mood or depressed.
What are we able to help you with?
The Talkworks team is able to help you with the following:
- Panic attacks
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
- Excessive worry
- Health anxiety
- Social anxiety/shyness
- Post traumatic stress disorder
How can I get help?
Your GP can refer you to TalkWorks or you can refer yourself and we will let your GP know. You can refer yourself by contacting them below:
Telephone: 0300 555 3344
What I can expect?
How will I know if the service is right for me?
They will talk to you about your difficulties and agree with you the best way forward. They can refer you on to other services and give you telephone numbers of alternative treatment options.
What help can I expect from the service?
TalkWorks will look at options with you which are based on Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). This looks at the way that thoughts, feelings and behaviours interact, sometimes in a helpful, and sometimes in an unhelpful way.
They provide a choice of help that includes:
- Working with you to identify the difficulty you are having
- Helping you in deciding where to start
- Recommending reading that would be helpful for you
- Providing information about other local resources that might be helpful for you
- Identifying thoughts and actions which may be unhelpful for you
- Identifying strengths and support to draw on
- Guidance in setting realistic goals and support in achieving them
- Providing support through self management programmes that have proven to be effective
- Group work and/or individual therapy
They also offer Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR). This is a specific treatment for people who have experienced a trauma.
Talkworks work closely with employment advisors who may be able to offer you support in getting back into work.
How long will I have to wait for my first appointment?
They aim to see everyone within four weeks of referral and the initial appointment will take approximately 30-40 minutes.
The staff work in various community buildings, for example, community hospitals, GP surgeries, libraries. This means they can usually provide you with support close to where you live or in the locality of your choice.
All of their staff are trained in effective psychological interventions to help you recover from depression and anxiety.
Your contact with Talkworks will be confidential in the same way as it is with your GP. They use a secure database that is only for thier service.
Please note the service does not routinely write reports.
If you are feeling suicidal you can ring the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90, call the Surgery or 111 if the surgery is closed. If you do not feel safe or have hurt yourself, please go directly to A&E.